1. I just sent a "test" text message via gotsoccer to all Contacts, Managers and Coaches. If you and your team management want to receive texts of any updates, make sure your got soccer account information is updated. Updating your gotsoccer account is not something I can help you with.
2. Just as many of you have, we too have been monitoring the weather for this weekend. Morey's Piers subscribes to a pretty comprehensive weather service and when they asked the meteorologist specifically about Wildwood (take this with a grain of salt - he's just a weather man), we have three general time periods of concern. There will be a chance of probably hit or miss type isolated thunderstorms Friday afternoon and Friday evening. While Saturday morning may start out dry, rain and a couple thunderstorms may work into the area during the day. The most concentrated period of precipitation may be late Saturday evening into Sunday morning.
You guys remember the big storm that blew through on Tuesday night? There is still some puddling on the north side as of Thursday at lunch time but if it weren't calling for rain as described above, I am confident those puddles would be 100% gone and we wouldn't be missing a beat. However, given that the beach is just drying out, any additional rain that will fall over the next couple of days may quickly result in puddles and/or flooding.
At this point, we are not making any adjustments to the tournament, the tournament will proceed. Depending on Friday actual precipitation, it is our hope that the only step we may need to take is to relocate some fields from low to high areas which will cause some confusion but the show will go on. If we do move fields, we will post any revised field maps to the website and they will also be available at the main tents on both the north and south sides.
Regarding Saturday during the day, we will be playing if it rains and obviously taking a break in the event of thunder and/or lightning. Hopefully any field moves we make will get us through any precipitation that falls on Saturday.
We will need to see what happens Saturday evening or let the forecast develop before we can make any meaningful plans or decisions regarding Sunday.
3. As and if we need to make decisions that affect the tournament, we will be trying to accomplish the following in order of priority: A. Try to make sure everyone gets to play some beach soccer, B. Maintain the integrity of the competition leading to awards. To that end, we may implement any and/or all of the following, relocate fields, delay game start times, shorten game duration, eliminate games. We will not be thinking about or addressing refunds or answering questions about anything monetary during the course of the weekend, we will be concentrating our efforts on getting you guys playing beach soccer. Depending on what actually happens, we will address these types of issues post event.
4. Morey's Piers will be open as weather permits. Keep in mind that while we may have puddle or flooding issues that may affect the tournament, if the weather allows, the rides and waterparks are still open.
5. We cannot just pick up and move the event to higher ground. We are going to need to do the best we can do with the beach we have and what Mother Nature gives us. Your understanding of this point is greatly appreciated.
6. Unfortunately, other than letting you know now that event is not being cancelled, I cannot give you a firm timeline on what and when additional decisions will be made. The weather here on the Cape can be much different from what is happening in Vineland or even Atlantic City, the ocean on one side and bay on the other many times seems to work out for us, not always but many times for the better. Updates will be sent out through gotsoccer by email and/or text, they may be posted to the CESC website and the main tents should also have an understanding of where things stand.
We appreciate your understanding and willingness to work with us this weekend. Let's hope for a great weekend and good luck.